Though our last prototype with the wrist band worked, we wanted to make the one with the sock work. The shape seemed to fit better the function.
We sew a foam to the sock, to prevent the plastic from collapsing like last time. We also tried to isolate the circuit as much as we could.
Even so, the results were different each time. It varied depending on wether we were using the Arduino Uno or the Fio, if it was connected to the computer through USB or Wi-Fly…
…and if we were touching or not the board. That led us to a problem discussed in the Capacitive Sensor tutorial: the board needs to be grounded. The page also explains a lot of problems we had, like the laptop acting as a sensor too when connected to the board.
After that, we gave up on the Fio/Wi-fly and decided to work with the regular Uno, for this prototype.
For the software part, we added calibration and “tap detection.” Now we finally have it controlling a video!